Sunday, April 18, 2004

DEQ... we the people provide the money for your paychecks! Why are you dragging us into your squabble with The Dow Chemical Company??!!! Why are you telling me that my backyard is a 'toxic waste facility?' Have you ever been in my backyard? Get me out of this squabble!!! I don't want to be involved!!! I am not blaming Dow Chemical for your interference in my life... I'm blaming YOU!

You may think I don't know as much as your 'scientists' but let me tell you. My neighbors and I have something none of you bureaucrats seem to have... that is..... Common Sense! Look! I want to show you something...

DIOXIN ..... FURAN
.....similar but not the same!


  • Dioxin... less than 2% of all the dioxins in the Tittabawassee River floodplain
  • ... it's a leftover from some chemical processes occurring before DEQ existed!
  • Some of it is a result of runoff from farmer's fields when farmers were allowed to use herbicides contaminated with dioxin.
  • Furan... more than 98% of all the dioxins in the Tittabawassee River floodplain.
  • ... furans are wood-based dioxins, derived from decomposition and burning of wood materials.
  • Much of this is undoubtedly a result of the thriving logging industry along the river.
  • some furans are most assuredly a result of years of burning off the old brush and grasses in early spring, just like foresters and land preservationists do to this day
Okay DEQ... I want your leaders to tell my why your agency has declared my neighbors and I guilty of owning a toxic waste facility? Is this the wave of the future? If our land has no value... if we can not use it... should not sell it... why must we pay the ever-increasing taxes on it? Declare a hiatus on taxes for all of us in the Tittabawassee River floodplain until this situation is resolved. We are NOT the bad guys here! We are victims of a quarrel between DEQ and Dow Chemical!

No comments: